Tattoo Conventions, and What you Need to Know
Since there are tattoo conventions every month, there is never a bad time to get to a convention, or any “convention season”- however, the UK is gearing up for some of the biggest conventions over the next few months, so I hope you’re all prepared! If you’ve never been to a convention before, though, you might not really know what to expect, or how to prepare for one. Some readers have emailed me asking about conventions lately, so for those of you “tattoo virgins”, we’re here to act like your mothers and make sure you’re ready for a fantastic weekend. Here’s our checklist to make sure nothing goes wrong.
- Do you have your ticket? Have you made other important arrangements? This might seem like a no-brainer, but a lot of people choose to buy their tickets on the door. This is usually fine, but with bigger events you might want to avoid disappointment by booking a ticket. You can usually do this through the convention’s website.If you’re unsure of the website to go to, Tattoo.TV has a great list of tattoo conventions for each year, with links- click here to have a look! Also, accomodation and travel arrangements are best made as soon as possible, you don’t want to be without somewhere to sleep, or get lost!
- Are you being tattooed at the convention? Super Quick Checklist: If you’re being tattooed, these things will come in handy, especially if you’re planning on being away from home for the convention.
- Aftercare (Bepanthen, After Inked, or whatever you or your artist prefer to use).
- Cling film- if you’re a “wrapper”, this is easy to forget when you’re packing to go down!
- Non- perfumed soap- the stuff you’ll find at a hotel isn’t really the best stuff to put on a new tattoo .
- Suitable clothing- sometimes it’s easy to forget about this!
- A good hearty breakfast, if you can’t have one before you get to the convention.
Any information about medicine you may use, in case you need this while being tattooed- a “just in caser”!
- Are you sitting comfortably? When you’re going to be surrounded by some stunningly beautiful people, it’s easy to want to look your best at the convention! Here’s a secret though: you see that beautiful woman with the stilletto heels? Her feet are in agony! You’ll find you’re going to be doing a lot of walking around at a convention, so you’re better off with comfortable shoes that you can walk for hours in. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who can stand heels for more than a couple of hours, in which case, go for it!
- Do you have a big gleaming smile on your face? If not, you should have- because you’re actually done! Yes, it’s that simple- no festival- style mammoth checklists, no strange cliques to keep in mind and no patronising, silly things to keep in mind. You’re there to have fun, like everyone else, and you’re set to have a great time! Hope that’s put some of you guys at ease.
Oh, and make sure you pack clean underwear. You never know when you’re going to be hit by a bus! No, I don’t get that one either.
For some more insight into the wonderful world of tattoo conventions, hold on tight for some reviews we’re dying to put up of a couple of conventions we’ve been to in the past couple of months!